Homemade cream cheese seems like it would be a costly process right? all curds and whey and a muffet on tuffet? Not this recipe, it’s ridiculously easy.
A friend of mine gave me this recipe at a Mexican night, ages ago and now I make it on the regular, because it tastes amazing, looks fancy and is cheap. Man I love fancy things that don’t cost fancy money.
I’m not sure if you can legitimately call it cream cheese but I do because it’s richer than cottage cheese.
What you need:
- Full cream Amasi (the more you use the more you make, I would start with the smaller bottle to see if you like it, because I don’t want you making a ton of the stuff, hating it, then cursing me)
- A colander (rice strainer thingy)
- A dish cloth
- A bowl
What you do
- Place colander in bowl
- Place cloth in colander
- Empty the contents of your Amasi into the cloth
- Leave in fridge over night
- you will wake to find all the liquid has dropped into the bowl
- squeeze out excess liquid
- you will be left with cheese in the cloth
- flavour with a little salt and pepper or herbs, my favourite is to add sweet chilli sauce and eat it with crackers SO GOOD!
A litre of Amasi is like R15 that makes atleast 500g (like minimum) of cream cheese, cream cheese is like R25 a 250g tub…so you are welcome 🙂