I might feel more excited about it one day when my ship comes in and I can make a fuss without feeling guilty about it. I think I’m too practical maybe, like why buy a cake you are diabetic for goodness sake and those balloons could have paid for Aidan’s guitar lessons, not that he is interested in guitar lessons, but you get me.
Anyway on the eve of my birthday, as I lay here waiting for my hair to dry so I can fluff it out of this 70s Art Garfunkel Afro, I thought I would give myself 33 tips/reminders for the coming year.
1. Remember what your Godmother always said; Other peoples opinion of you is none of your business.
2. Not everyone is going to like you, and that’s okay, there are people out here hating on avocados so the world is clearly insane.
3. In reference to two; ‘You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world, and there’s still going to be somebody who hates peaches.’ – Dita Von Teese
4. There is no shame in getting life advice from a burlesque dancer, shout out to Dita.
5. It’s no use in asking Jesus to take the wheel if you aren’t willing to get out of the driver’s seat.
6. Like your mom always says; You need to let go of the plans you have for yourself to truly embrace the plans God has for you.
7. When you are feeling overwhelmed look at how far you have come not how far you still have to go.
8. Comparison is the thief of joy; Theodor Rosevelt.
9. Stop doubting people who say nice things and straight out believing all those who say mean things.
10. Life has seasons and most goodbyes are just a “see you later”.
11. You are not a sucky mom.
12. Your son thinks you are magic, he is a notably smart kid.
13. It is okay to miss your other son, it’s okay to cry.
14. It is okay to be happy despite the mourning.
15. There is no such thing as loving your child too much, you won’t get punished for it, Logan was not a punishment.
16. It is okay to say your kid is special, it doesn’t open a portal to have him taken away.
17. Him acting too mature doesn’t mean he has not felt like he has your support. He takes risks because he knows you are there.
18. Use more punctuation marks, readers appreciate it.
19.On the topic of punctuation: “Never place a period where God has placed a comma.” -Gracie Allen.
20. Sing more, you know you love it.
21. I know 2017 was a year of betrayal, but you rose above it, you should be proud.
22. On that note; “Everyone suffers at least one bad betrayal in their lifetime. It’s what unites us. The trick is not to let it destroy your trust in others when that happens. Don’t let them take that from you, ” Sherrilyn Kenyon
23. Stop letting your small wallet and big butt define you and keep you from doing things you want to try out.
24. You are sometimes broke, but never poor, stop playing into that failure mentality.
25. Stop being so negative about your body, six years ago that body practically came back from the dead, that’s pretty badass, stop hating.
26. The scale will only start to matter once it can weigh the size of your heart. (metaphorically, because it’s totally weighing your heart)
27. Don’t forget you are diabetic. (that note is from your liver btw)
28. There are at least three men and one boy who will go to the wire for you, your Father, Husband, brother, and son.
29. The list of women who have your back is even longer.
30. You are pretty blessed in the friend department.
31. You have done some amazing things in your life girly, be proud.
32. There is a difference between being big headed and being proud, don’t get caught up in that small town mentality for another 33 years.
33. Happy Birthday!