I’m a bad mom and I’m okay with that. Are you a bad mom too? If you’re brave enough to admit it, I might just have a prize for you.
I watched Bad Moms last night and LOVED IT (I know I’m late getting around to this one but I still haven’t watched Hunger Games or even Twilight sooooo).
There’s this scene in the movie when the moms are discussing their mom fantasies and one says how she fantasized about crashing her car and ending up in hospital. Naturally the other two moms call her crazy but there I sat watching the scene and relating to her 100%.
I’ve had that fantasy…like she says not a big crash with explosions and things just bad enough to get me to hospital.
Juuuust injured enough to need to stay in bed watching series while people bring me food and my husband and son come and faff over me during visiting hours.
I’m sure to score some new pajamas from my mom and I get to be drugged a little.
Don’t worry I won’t do anything stupid (maybe if I had that hospital cash back plan former soap stars always advertise on tv – where u get money back for every day you are in hospital – maybe then, but not now, for now I need to work and I need to not be completely insane)
The woman in the movie had four kids and a douchey husband so you can kind of understand where she comes from. Me? I have an extremely hands on husband who cooks and more and I only have one kid…so clearly I just suck at life. Maybe not life per say… more like I suck at adulting and (regardless of what MTV and 16 and pregnant will have you believe) you do need to adult to be a mom (even if you have to do it sooner than planned).
Mine wasn’t sooner than planned… In fact if you know my history you would know it was later than planned. I had Aidy at 28 and am probably one of the older mom’s in his class (first time mom’s anyway).
I realise that us as moms are really super hard on ourselves. We want to do everything and be everything no mistakes allowed. You need to be able to know the exact sugar and calorie count of any snack your child is given like some sort of nutrition Rain Man. Your kids need to be angelic wonders asleep in their own beds at an exact time every night and they need to stop being naughty with nothing but a threatening stare and the right inclination in your voice.
I digress… so why am I so tired? Well I work a lot (remember this awkward video where Aidy belted out in song how much I work) I’ve taken on extra shifts to get my finances back in order after more than one client thought that the invoice I sent them was merely a suggestion…
So yes I’m TIRED and that exhaustion makes me a bad mom and here are a few examples how:
– act like it’s later than it is so I can put Aidy to bed earlier
– let him have cereal for supper (even popcorn once or twice) because I’m too tired to fight
– totally zone out when he tells me something and just react on his reaction…He seems sad I’ll give him a hug and say “that’s okay” and not have a clue what’s okay and if he seems happy about what he said I will give him a high five
– made him think he was lost in a shop to teach him a lesson about hiding in the clothing rails (he didn’t get scared he just told the shop assistant that I had gotten myself lost)
– bribe him to be good at the shops…”be good during the trip and you can have an ice-cream or go to the game centre”
– let him tell me bed time stories when I can’t stomach the thought of reading one more
– have secretly done work “behind his back” when we have movie night
– once woke up at 1am in his toddler bed to the site of him asking if he should turn volume down on my phone so I can continue sleeping and he can watch YouTube
– have lost my shit and pretended to throw a tantrum to stop his
– have been late picking him up at school
There are more things I’m sure, but I fear adding to the list will have social services at my door… but yes that’s my confession sometimes exhaustion makes me a bad mom but I sure as heck try my best
For the most part Aidy seems okay. He is chatty and happy and so confident he puts me to shame. The Simba chip sandwich lunches and having a mom that sometimes sneaks Amarula into her chocolate milk doesn’t seem to be messing him up too bad
What helps me is that my husband is really insistent that I take some me time. I usually take out one of my colouring books and just try not to think for a bit. It helps, I reconnect and then I can deal with my life a little better. It’s my meditation time.
Christian Art media has some meditation time for you too…If you comment with your own bad mom story you can win one of these beautifully illustrated colouring books and I will throw in a set of my all time favourite colouring pencils
Come on make me feel better and comment