So last weekend I went to the first annual curls in the city event. A get together of like minded people (curly girls/naturals/bos kop people ) to chat, get tips and bond over our hair triumphs and struggles. I didn’t get pics (crazy right) so stole this one from fellow blogger Ruth.
I just know the second one will be even better and I’m booking my seat now already.
As we chatted I made some mental notes from the naturals to share with you all…Some you know, some you might not 🙂
TIPS from around the curly table
– don’t comb/detangle your curly hair while dry (damage and pain come to mind)
– co-wash (washing with conditioner) is preferred to shampoo
– mixing bicarbonate of soda into your conditioner makes a great moisturising “shampoo” for build up
– a blast of cold water to your hair after washing will reduce frizz and up the shine (suffer for beauty people hehe)
– do not towel dry your curls! Micro fibre or simple t-shirt will do
– you don’t have to drown your curls in a product, a little (not straight haired people little, pea-sized hahahaha no) goes a long way to style without weighing down
– coconut oil works before,during and after wash
– sleep with your hair stacked on top of your head (in a pineapple) to preserve curls
– have fun with your hair and don’t let others dictate how you are “supposed to look”