If you have visited this blog before you might be aware of the challenges I face with my picky eater oh the challenges. For those of you who are new here, here is the run down.
– Aidan is 3 years old.
– He is a vegetarian because he says he doesn’t want to hurt the animals. (probably why he is anemic – although, so am I and I eat meat)
– He doesn’t like food with any kind of wet/sticky/chunky consistency.
– no condiments and somehow this includes icing on cupcakes.
– He is precocious and tells me all he really wants is yogurt and crackers.
– Some (many/most even) think me not forcing him is a cop-out. But I don’t believe that I am letting my toddler win, he vomits, cries and shakes if he is forced to eat something – no one is winning
– I no longer force him because I don’t want him ending up on a TLC reality show called – my mother made me hate food and now I kill people (or the like)
– I manage to get him to taste new foods before declaring “it’s so kaka I never, ever, never want to eat it” and consider this a win
– I have a shelf in my book case dedicated to picky eating self help books
– The pediatrician, dietitian, nutritionist and occupational therapist (yes I have taken him to all these people) all believe he will grow out of it
Okay now that we covered this, I know I am not alone in the struggle so I thought I would share how I sneak extra calories, protein and vitamins into his limited diet:
I am BY NO MEANS an expert. I just realised that he is SUPER ACTIVE and would get lethargic.
The dietitian told me that a child his age needs around 1300 calories a day, and I realised he only gets around 700cals (on a good day where he actually finishes a sitting) so I made it my mission to get more energy into him. I also wanted to decrease sugar intake and up protein.
(this is not everyday it’s just the basic – I got the nutritional value off myfitnesspal)
He used to eat:
Oatees (he eats half a cup dry every morning)
Oros (he loves this drink although it has no nutritional value)
Cals : 170
Now he eats:
Oatees (if it’s not broke don’t fix it)
Solal 24-in-1 Superfruit and Veg drink (It’s a super pricey concentrate but worth it I think)